Current News and Actions
Friends of Lake Hiawatha
Friends of Lake Hiawatha, December Meeting
MON December17 6pm to 7pm,
Angry Catfish Coffee shop, 4208 28th Ave S
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55406
Help us envsion our next steps for helping shape an win/win vision and plans for the future of our beloved Lake Hiawatha at the January CAC meeting.
Thanks! Sean, Roxanne, Penny, Ryan, Sheila and many more!
Hiawatha Golf Course Property Master Plan Community Advisory Committee
Hiawatha Golf Course Property Master Plan CAC Meeting
Public · Hosted by Lake Hiawatha
Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 6 PM – 8 PM
414 E Diamond Lake Rd, Minneapolis, MN 55419-1459, United States
Let’s be present at this meeting to witness the CAC discussions and actions. The first two meetings caused a lengthy delay to the Master Plan process that resulted in a new charge for the CAC. The modified resolution directs the CAC to only consider a reduced pumping scenario and bring forward a solution that includes, at a minimum, a flood-resilient and ecologically-driven nine-hole configuration for a golf course on the property.
Friends of Lake Hiawatha is in full support of this decision by the Minneapolis park board Board of Commissioners and continues to advocate for mitigation of the stormwater entering the lake and protection and expansion of wildlife habitat at the golf course and park property. Come support a vision that prioritizes a clean Lake Hiawatha!
We need your voice, please come to the public meetings to speak in favor of cleaning up our lake
“The third Community Advisory Committee meeting for the Hiawatha Golf Course Property Master Plan is scheduled Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2018, 6-8 pm at Pearl Recreation Center, 414 E. Diamond Lake Road.
At the meeting, the CAC and Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board staff will begin establishing a vision for the golf course property. A vision is a unique, high-level, singular statement that captures a community’s intent for a given area of parkland. It’s usually one sentence long.
Establishing a vision at the beginning of the master planning process allows for every subsequent decision to flow through and be filtered by the vision so that it meets the intent of the community. It should be an exciting meeting and get everyone moving on a solid path forward!
All CAC meetings are public and anyone interested in the creation a long-term plan for the Hiawatha Golf Course Property is welcome to attend.”
- Hiawatha Golf Course Property Master Plan CAC Application https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Hiawatha_cac_app
- Hiawatha Golf Course Property Master Plan Project Page
- FRIENDS OF LAKE HIAWATHA STORM SEWER MITIGATION GOALS:
Saturday September 8 Lake Hiawatha Clean UP at Art Exhibition
- Shoreline Clean Up with volunteers from the Friends of Lake Hiawatha and Xcel Energy Employee Day of Service
- Outdoor Art Exhibition This is Ours: Our Park, Our Lake, Our Trash,” in the SE corner Lake Hiawatha Park https://nemaa.org/event/this-is-ours/
- Listen to our volunteer PENNY Fuller who was featured on MPR on Art Hounds today! Nurse and concerned environmentalist Penny Fuller is looking forward to “This is Ours: Our Park, Our Lake, Our Trash,” a one-day exhibition and art installation on the southern shore of Lake Hiawatha. A group of artists will be creating pieces that invite viewers to both celebrate the natural beauty of the lake and raise awareness of the pollution that threatens its biodiversity.